Legit Memory Reviews
Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB DDR3 1600 Memory Kit Review
|Date:||Mon, Jan 23, 2012 - 12:00 AM|
|Written By:||Jeremy Borage -|
Introduction & SpecificationsKingston has been designing memory modules since 1987, when its founders released a single product to fill a -need they saw in the market. Since then, Kingston has expanded to be one of- if not the- premiere memory company in the world. Their products range from value-minded OEM products to server-grade memory to enthusiast-oriented performance RAM. More recently, Kingston has expanded its offerings into flash drives and solid state drives.
Today we will be looking at an offering from Kingston's HyperX Genesis series. The HyperX line covers a wide array of memory aimed for enthusiast use. The HyperX line includes the Blu series, which is the entry level series, the T1 series, which is aimed for heavy overclocking scenarios, and the Genesis series, which is a mid-range offering. The HyperX line also includes options for watercooled modules, low voltage modules, and newly, laptop RAM for Intel's latest Core series processors and chipsets.
Our RAM today is the Kingston HyperX Genesis Gray series 1600MHz 8GB kit. It is a dual channel kit that features gray heat spreaders and Kingston's typical HyperX styling. What isn't typical, however, is the gray color, which is a change from the typical distinctive blue color of most of Kingston's previous HyperX products. This kit currently sells for $44.99 from newegg but has a mail in rebate at the time of writing which brings it down to $39.99 shipped.
Kingston emphasizes quality in all of its products. Kingston lists several selling points on its website:
- Superior Quality: Kingston qualifies all components and tests all modules in all stages of production.
- Guaranteed Compatibility: Kingston customizes its memory and guarantees 100-percent compatibility.
- Convenience: Kingston provides a complete range of memory solutions at competitive prices for thousands of systems.
- Stability: Established in 1987, Kingston has grown to be the largest independent memory module manufacturer in the industry.
- Reliability: Its commitment to using the highest-quality components and to 100-percent testing makes Kingston memory the most reliable on the market.
- Expertise: Kingston is involved in the DRAM process from the dicing of the wafer to encasing the integrated circuits to assembling the module to testing the finished product.
- Warranty: Kingston offers a lifetime warranty on all memory modules and Flash cards, a three-year warranty on SSDNow drives and a five-year warranty on DataTraveler USB Flash drives. Visit the Kingston warranty statement page
We will be benchmarking this kit to see how it performs and how it overclocks in our Intel-based test bench.
Next Page - Test system & installation
Page 1 - Introduction & Specifications
Page 2 - Test system & installation
Page 3 - Benchmarks: AIDA64, x264, Crysis 2
Page 4 - Overclocking & Conclusion