Legit Mods and Ends Reviews
SteelSeries Simraceway SRW-S1 Steering Wheel Review
|Date:||Fri, Jan 06, 2012 - 12:00 AM|
|Written By:||Ken Brown -|
SteelSeries Introduces Simraceway SRW-S1 Steering Wheel
Shortly before Christmas, SteelSeries and Ignite Technologies announced a new PC controller directly aimed at racing enthusiasts who want to get the most out of their racing simulators without breaking the bank. The Simraceway SRW-S1 Steering Wheel is a direct result of the partnership between peripheral juggernaut SteelSeries, and Ignite Technologies’ experts at the Simraceway Performance Driving Center at Infineon Raceway. Designed in part by the Simraceway development team which touts contributions from real-world drivers such as Dario Franchitti and the late Dan Wheldon, the SRW-S1 Wheel is designed for players who want more than just a keyboard or a joystick and want real-world control over their racing games or simulators.
I have a been a real-world racing fan for all of my life, growing up in earshot distance from a famous dirt racetrack in Southern California. I’ve always enjoyed NASCAR and more recently have come to love Formula 1 and World Rally Championships so when SteelSeries announced a new peripheral – their first ever racing wheel – I was more than a little skeptical. A racing controller without pedals for less than $120?!? What does SteelSeries, a manufacturer who is best known for headsets and professional mice know about racing? At this point I was thinking that a good comparison for the SRW-S1 might be my kid’s Mario Kart Wii wheel.
I felt a little better after I looked at the specs of the SRW-S1: It uses “in-air” operation using accelerometers to sense where the wheel is without the use of an anchor to your desk or chair; 15 LEDs to show your RPMs and shift timing; 15 buttons for game controls (camera, look direction, HUD, etc); Steering sensitivity adjustment with 12 driving assist modes (aSSIsts); Bundled with Simraceway game and is compatible with all PC racing games.
SteelSeries SRW-S1 Specifications:
- 15 fully programmable buttons and directional pad for a personalized set-up
- Customizable steering sensitivity coupled with quick rotary dials for driving aids
- Interactive in-game: RPM and Shift Indicator lights that respond to Simraceway online gameplay
- Real-feel: Rubberized racing wheel comfort grips with realistic racing wheel shifters for true to life racing experience
- Quick set-up: plug and play while racing in the online Simraceway platform
- SRW-S1 Dimensions: 8 x 10 x 4 inches ; 1.9 pounds
- While the specifications look nice, to truly get the feel of the wheel, we need to break open our package and try it out.
Next Page - SRW-S1: Out of the package
Page 1 - SteelSeries Introduces Simraceway SRW-S1 Steering Wheel
Page 2 - SRW-S1: Out of the package
Page 3 - SRW-S1: Setup & Racing
Page 4 - SRW-S1: Final Thoughts