Legit Case Reviews
BitFenix Colossus Full Tower Case Review
|Date:||Wed, Sep 01, 2010 - 12:00 AM|
|Written By:||Shane Higgins -|
Introducing the BitFenix Colossus
Even though they are a new company, BitFenix is made up of veterans of both the technology and gaming industries. The goal of BitFenix is to create hardware and peripherals that allow the end user the utmost control and provide strength and performance. Currently their sole product is the Colossus, a full tower with enthusiasts in mind, and I would only expect that this is only the first of many things to come from the folks at BitFenix.
The Colossus is a full tower chassis and it brings a fair amount of features to the table. The Colossus will be available in both Monolith Black with black interior and Glacial White with white interior. The top and front are coated with what BitFenix calls their SofTouch coating. The coating is to help protect the chassis from stains and look good. The Colossus also has an LED lighting effect that wraps around the case from the left to the right around front of the case. The color of the LED accent lighting can be changed from red to blue; it can also be switched to activity modes: on, pulse, and off.
The Colossus also has a compartment at the top front of the case that holds all the front I/O ports, LED controls and the fan controller. This compartment BitFenix calls S3 can be locked, protecting all your peripherals and whatever else you may feel inclined to put in there. Inside the Colossus there is room for motherboards up to E-ATX, seven hard drive bays that can hold either 2.5” or 3.5” drives, and even room for the longest of video cards. To keep the system cool the Colossus comes with two 230mm fans, but can be outfitted with two additional 140mm or 120mm fans.
Features of the BitFenix Colossus
- Ready for the Future: The next generation of USB connectivity is here. Equipped with two USB 3.0 ports, Colossus allows you to connect an ever-growing number of USB 3.0 devices and experience data transfer speeds up to ten times that of USB 2.0. With USB 3.0 already built-in, Colossus can last you several upgrades, further future-proofing your system.
- At Your Command: Designed to be the center of your digital domain, Colossus puts you in command with a PWM fan controller and multimode light controls. Tune your fans down for silence or up for extra cooling. Select your desired lighting color or turn them off completely. With Colossus, control is always at your fingertips.
- Advanced LED Lighting System: Perhaps the most striking feature of Colossus at first glance is the advanced LED lighting system. Not only is the light evenly distributed for a truly inspired look, but the LED color is also dual-mode, which means that users can switch between red and blue lighting with the touch of a button.
- Unmatched Security with BitFenix S3: Colossus introduces a BitFenix exclusive – S3. S3 is a storage compartment and security system in one. Place your iPhone, hard disk, or other valuables in S3 and lock them away for safe keeping. S3 will even lock down peripherals like USB mice and keyboards plugged into it, and secure everything under lock and key. Simple, safe and secure – that’s BitFenix S3.
- Complete Cable Management: Messy cables not only look bad, but they can also restrict airflow in a chassis. That’s why Colossus is designed to manage cables both inside and out. Keep cables from cluttering the inside of the chassis with Colossus' strategically-placed cable holes. Prevent cables from getting caught in opening optical drives with the unique cable-holding front bezel.
- Epic Expandability: Colossus gives you the space to build your own supercomputer. Capable of accommodating eight PCI express devices and seven 2.5" SSDs or seven 3.5" hard disk drives, Colossus is ready for multiple upgrades – perfect for a rig of epic proportions.
- Massive Cooling: When the action heats up, your system needs to keep its cool. Colossus can be outfitted with up to two 230mm fans, three 140mm fans or three 120mm fans, meaning huge cooling potential for all system components.
- Easy Installation: Big doesn't have to mean unwieldy. Featuring a motherboard CPU cooler cutout on the motherboard tray, specially-designed motherboard standoffs, and an almost completely tool-free design, getting your system up and running with Colossus is a joy. Large yet welcoming, if Colossus reminds you of a friendly giant, we wouldn’t blame you.
Specifications of the BitFenix Colossus
- Materials: SECC, ABS
- Color (Int/Ext): Black/Black or White/White
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 245 x 558 x 582 mm (ATX Full Tower)
- Motherboard Sizes: Mini-ITX, mATX, ATX, E-ATX
- 5.25" Drive Bays: x 5 (1 x external 3.5"; tool-free)
- 3.5" Drive Bays: x 7
- 2.5" Drive Bays: x 7 (using standard 3.5" drive bays)
- Cooling Front: 1 x 230mm
- Cooling Rear: 1 x 140/120mm (optional)
- Cooling Side Panel: n/a
- Cooling Top: 1 x 230mm (or 1 x 140/120mm optional)
- Cooling Bottom: 1 x 140/120mm (optional)
- PCI Slots: 8 (tool-free)
- I/O: 2 x USB3.0, 2 x USB2.0, eSATA, Audio
- Power Supply: PS2 ATX (bottom, multi direction)
Next Page - The Packing
Page 1 - Introducing the BitFenix Colossus
Page 2 - The Packing
Page 3 - External Impressions of the BitFenix Colossus
Page 4 - Inside the BitFenix Colossus
Page 5 - Installing Parts into the BitFenix Colossus
Page 6 - Final Thoughts and Conclusion