Intel Core i7-3770K Processor
For our testing today, Intel sent over the Core i7‐3770K processor (3.5 GHz clock speed, 8M cache, 4 cores/8 threads) with Intel HD Graphics 4000 (1150MHz Max Dynamic Frequency). As you can see from the image above, the Intel Core i7-3770K CPU that we were sent for review is an Engineering Sample (ES) processor with a batch number of V206003P. You can also see the S-Spec number QC45 on the integrated heat spreader (IHS).
The Intel Core i7-3770K looks identical to any other LGA1155 processor from the top, but when you flip it over you can see some differences on the bottom when compared to the Intel Core i7-2700K processor.
Intel Core i7‐3770K Processor Key Features:
- 8‐Way Multi‐Task Processing: Runs 8 independent processing threads in one physical package.
- Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0: Dynamically increases the processor frequency up to 3.9 GHz when applications
demand more performance. Speed when you need it, energy efficiency when you don’t.
- Intel Hyper‐Threading Technology: Allows each core of the processor to work on two tasks at the same time
providing amazing processing capability for better multi‐tasking, and for threaded applications.
- Intel Smart Cache: 8MB of shared cached allows faster access to your data by enabling dynamic and efficient
allocation of the cache to match the needs of each core significantly reducing latency to frequently used data and
- CPU Overclocking Enabled (with Intel Z77 Express & Z75 Express Chipsets): Fully unlocked core multiplier, power,
and DDR3 memory ratios enable high flexibility for overclocking.
- Graphics Overclocking Enabled (with all Intel 7 Series Chipsets)5: Unlocked graphics multiplier allows for
overclocking to boost the graphics clock speed.
- Integrated Memory Controller: Supports 2 channels of DDR3‐1600 memory with 2 DIMMs per channel. Support for
memory based on the Intel Extreme Memory Profile (Intel XMP) specification.
- Chipset/Motherboard Compatibility: Compatible with all Intel 7 Series Chipsets and selected Intel 6 Series
- Intel Secure Key: a HW assist processor technology designed to produce high‐quality, high‐security, high‐volume
random numbers through an on‐chip entropy source that can be used for various security computing demands.
- Intel OS Guard: a HW assist processor technology designed to prevent certain system malware attacks aiming to
gain kernel level access to the operating system (OS enabling required).
- Intel AES New Instructions (AES‐NI)7: Provides 6 processor instructions that help to improve performance for AES
encryption and decryption algorithms.
- Built‐in Visuals: New enhanced built‐in visual features deliver a seamless visual PC experience for doing everything
from simple e‐mail to enjoying the latest 3D and HD entertainment. The built‐in visuals suite includes:
- Intel Quick Sync Video 2.0 Technology: Media processing for incredibly fast conversion of video files for portable
media players or online sharing.
- Intel InTru 3D9: Stereoscopic 3D Blu‐ray playback experience in full HD 1080p resolution over HDMI 1.4 with
- Intel Clear Video HD Technology: Visual quality and color fidelity enhancements for spectacular HD playback and
immersive web browsing.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel AVX): Increased performance for demanding visual applications like
professional video & image editing.
- Intel HD Graphics 4000: Brand new graphics architecture delivering full DX11 functionality and up to 2X compute
throughput (via increased number of execution units and dual‐issue), translating into significant graphics
performance enhancements (over 2nd Gen Intel Core processors with HD Graphics 2000/3000) for immersive
mainstream gaming on a broader range of titles
The Intel Core i7-3770K has a base clock of 3.5GHz, but you will seldom see it at that speed. It idles at 1600MHz when there is no need for CPU performance.
The Intel Core i7-3770K usually runs around 3.7GHz when under full load.
The Intel Core i7-3770K can hit 3.9GHz when running a single threaded application, which is the highest it can go without overclocking it.