Private Press Panel: Tasha and Doremi of Spiral Cats
Spiral Cats is perhaps the most recognized team of professional cosplayers. Based in South Korea, a group of friends led by Tasha formed an organization that used cosplay to promote gaming. Their most notable projects have been for some of the most popular PC games around world including Starcraft II, World of Warcraft, Diablo III, League of Legends, and DOTA 2.
The Spiral Cats team is composed of full-time team cosplayers and several guest cosplayers. Doremi is the newest addition to the full-time Spiral Cats lineup and she and team leader Tasha were in Los Angeles for Anime Expo 2014 as guests of honor. Here’s some of what they shared during the AX private press panel about cosplaying, PC gaming, and Spiral Cats.
- Tasha’s favorite PC game right now is Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
- Her favorite characters to cosplay as are Kerrigan (Starcraft II) and Nidalee (League of Legends)
- Can’t wait to go to Disneyland. Took a notice to the love for Disney at AX 2014 after seeing a number of Frozen cosplayers.
- Has eaten at In-n-Out Burgers because that’s a thing in California
- Designing the costume and props are the most important aspect of the whole cosplay. Tasha pays special attention to the colors and the scale of the props with regards to viewing distance.
- Doremi’s favorite PC game right now is League of Legends.
- Also loves mobile gaming and currently playing LoveLive! the most. Doremi also added that unlike most girls and women in Korea who fill their phones with pictures, she loads her phones with games.
- Her favorite characters to cosplay as are Generation Ahri (League of Legends) and Jaina Proudmoore (World of Warcraft)
- Wants to eat all the delicious food she’s encountered on her first time in Los Angeles
- Like Tasha, Doremi agrees that the design phase is the most important aspect of cosplaying. However, she pays special attention to the hairdressing.