SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD ReviewMon, Jan 07, 2013 - 8:00 AM
SanDisk Ultra Plus Marvell Powered SSD
SanDisk is best known for their memory products and with that, they’ve been doing a number of SSDs on both consumer and enterprise fronts. Their latest offering that came across our desk is the Ultra Plus line being powered by the Marvell 88SS9175 controller and SanDisk’s own 19nm NAND. The 6Gbps interfaced drives are marketed towards the both the desktop and mobile computing crowds with promises of strong performance, high reliability and power efficiency. It comes standard in the 7mm, 2.5″ form factor so it should be good to go for most Ultrabooks as well.
Available in capacities of 64GB, 128GB and 256GB (the model we received), they are competitively priced at $74.99, $109.99 and $219.99, respectively. Performance numbers vary between the different sized drives with the 64GB drive hitting up to 520MB/s reads and 155MB/s writes to the 256GB drive seeing numbers up to 530MB/s reads and 445MB/s writes. All are backed with a three year warranty and an MTBF of 2 million hours.
SanDisk Ultra Plus Features and Specifications:
|Flash Memory:||SanDisk 19nm eX2 ABL MLC|
|Interface:||SATA III (6Gbps)|
|Power (Max Active):||2.6W||2.7W||2.9W|
|Power (Min Idle):||0.08W||0.08W||0.08W|
|MTBF:||2.0 Million Hours||2.0 Million Hours||2.0 Million Hours|
|Endurance (TeraBytes Written):||>80 TBW||>80 TBW||>80 TBW|
|Size:||7.0mm x 69.5mm x 100.5mm|
- ATA Command Set ACS-2
- NCQ Support up to QD 32
- Support for TRIM
- S.M.A.R.T. Feature Supported
- Advanced Flash Management:
- nCache technology – Non-Volatile Write Cache
- Dynamic & Static Wear-leveling
- Bad Block Management
- Background Garbage Collection
- Tiered caching – Volatile and non-non-Volatile cache
- Supports multi stream – improves user experience in multitasking systems
- minimal write amplification
- Performance will be throttled in the event junction temperature of critical components is measured to be exceeding the maximum allowable for the products.
The back side of the drive is simply adorned with a sticker containing the model and legal information.
The drive comes with a installation and warranty guide and also an adhesive shim to add an additional 2mm to make the drive a more standard 9.5mm height.