Corsair Carbide 500R Mid-Tower Case (White)
Back in August of 2009 Corsair blasted onto the scene with the much anticipated Obsidian 800D full tower case which quickly won worldwide acclaim as one of the best full tower designs on the market. Since that time Corsair has released several cases playing off that success in their graphite and carbide series. The latest iteration from their carbide series is the 500R that they sent over to Legit Reviews for a quick look.
Corsair is a well known company that has been around since 1994 under the name Corsair Microsystems before it was simply shortened to Corsair. They started with L2 caches for CPU’s before moving into the memory business and then over the last several years have expanded their product line to include cases, water cooling, power supplies, speaker systems, and SSD drives.
Corsair’s three case lines are basically five different cases and then a few versions of those cases. In the Obsidian line you have the full tower 800D and mid tower 650D that have signature flat sided boxy shape and sharp corners. The Graphite series has the single 600T in two flavors and it noted for its more rounded appearance. Finally we have the Carbide series that started with the 400R and now includes the 500R with better cooling options at the value end of the price scale. The Corsair Carbide 500R comes in two colors, black and the currently trendy white sided version they sent us.
- Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces
- Integrated cable mangement
- Four 5.25” drive bays
- Six 3.5” hard drive bays with 2.5” support
- Eight expansion slots
- Supports graphics cards up to 17.8″ (452mm) in length (with hard drive cage removed)
- Dimensions: 20.5” x 8.1” x 20”
- Two-year warranty
Front I/O panel contains:
- Two USB 3.0 connectors
- One Firewire connector
- 3.5” headphone and microphone connector
- Power and reset switches
- Fan LED on/off switch
- 3 Speed fan switch
- Supports most 240mm dual radiators (15mm spacing)
- Side panel with mesh fan mount locations
- Multi-channel fan controller
- Six 120mm/140mm fan mounts
- Four 120mm fan mounts
- Includes a 200mm side panel fan, two front-mounted 120mm fans, and one rear 120mm fan
Here is video showing them building a system in a 400R, the 500R’s little brother but it is basically the same box with just a few more options on the 500R.