SteelSeries Apex Gaming Keyboard
It’s been over three years since Legit Reviews took a look at a keyboard from SteelSeries so it’s time to catch up on what’s going on with the Apex Gaming Keyboard that was released back in summer 2013. This is a backlit membrane keyboard with lots of macro keys that’s about giving options and very much the theme of a number of SteelSeries past keyboards. We’ll see if that’s enough to justify its presence in a time when high mechanical switches are the norm feature on high-end and some mid-range gaming keyboards.
The SteelSeries Apex has a long list of features printed on the back of the box and most of them are quite notable. There are five backlighting zones each of which can be customized to glow a different color, 22 dedicated macro keys with four profiles, dedicated media keys, diagonal arrow keys, and USB passthrough. The Apex comes with a 1-year warranty and be purchased from Amazon for $85.99 shipped.
SteelSeries Apex Gaming Keyboard Features:
- Introducing the SteelSeries Apex, a gaming keyboard designed to enable users to react quickly, move strategically, and customize its performance for every game. Beyond just choosing from 16.8 million colors, the Apex features SteelSeries ActiveZone lighting, a visual support tool allowing the user to independently customize each of its 5 zones and in multiple macro layers.
- Low profile, fast action keys and quick-access macro keys in a slim design
- Choose from 16.8 million color illuminations and 8 levels of intensity per zone and layer
- 88 more ways to win thanks to 22 macro keys that each feature up to 4 layers
- Raised macro keys along the top and left side, provide faster and more precise macro combinations
- Small tactile bumps on the W-key provides a faster return to WASD
- Independent media and volume keys provide instant access to media control
- The SteelSeries key easily adjusts brightness and disables the windows key with no software required
- The enlarged space bar and added directional keys are supporting features that improve comfort and reaction time
- Anti-tangle, double braided nylon cord for enhanced durability
- Integrated USB hub for added convenience
- Ensure the most comfortable angle with swappable rubber feet
- Supported by SteelSeries Engine technology the Apex can be configured and customized from illumination to advanced macro across SteelSeries peripherals on Windows and OS X
SteelSeries Apex Gaming Keyboard Specifications:
- Anti-Ghosting: 20 Most Commonly Used Keys
- Multimedia Keys: 6
- Programmable Keys: 88 (Via 4 Layers)
- Number of Illumination Colors: 16 million
- Number of Illumination Zones: 5
- Size & Weight
- Weight: 1330 g (2.93 lbs)
- Width: 560 mm (22.05 in)
- Height: 55 mm (2.05 in)
- Depth: 220 mm (8.66 in)
- USB Cable Length: 2 m (6.6 ft)
- 1-year warranty
The Apex comes with a SteelSeries sticker, quick start guide, and alternate set of raised feet for adjusting the keyboard height. The Apex keyboard support plug-and-play drivers, but the SteelSeries Engine software is required to create macro commands and modify the backlights.
We’ve still got a review ahead, so flip the page and enjoy the trip.