NVIDIA Financial Results for First Quarter Fiscal 2015Fri, May 09, 2014 - 8:11 AM
NVIDIA Financial Results for First Quarter Fiscal 2015
Adds Second Quarter Outlook and Dividend Dates to May 6 Release
NVIDIA has reported revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2015, ended April 27, 2014, of $1.103 billion, up 16 percent from a year earlier and down 4 percent from $1.144 billion in the previous quarter.
- Revenue of $1.103 billion.
- GAAP net income of $136.5 million, or $0.24 per diluted share. Non-GAAP net income of $166.1 million, or $0.29 per diluted share.
- GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins of 54.8 percent and 55.1 percent, respectively.
NVIDIA reported its financial results earlier this week because a preliminary draft had been inadvertently emailed to an internal distribution list of about 100 individuals. Figures contained in the May 6 release are unchanged in this release.
GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.24, up 85 percent from $0.13 a year earlier, and down 4 percent from $0.25 in the previous quarter. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.29, up 61 percent from $0.18 a year earlier and down 9 percent from $0.32 in the previous quarter.
NVIDIA will pay its next quarterly cash dividend of $0.085 per share on June 13, 2014, to all stockholders of record on May 22, 2014. NVIDIA expects that a portion of this dividend payment may be considered a return of capital for U.S. federal income tax purposes.
“First quarter results benefited from gains in PC gaming and our continued progress in the data center and cloud,” said Jen-Hsun Huang, president and chief executive officer of NVIDIA. “Nearly 600 enterprises worldwide are now evaluating GRID, our virtual GPU server platform. VMware announced support for GRID to enable GPU-accelerated enterprise virtualization. And with IBM, Dell and HP now selling our GPUs in their high-volume servers, we expect large-scale data centers to be a significant source of growth.”
GAAP Quarterly Financial Comparison (in millions except per share data) Q1 FY15 Q4 FY14 Q1 FY14 Q/Q Y/Y Revenue $1,102.8 $1,144.2 $954.7 down 4% up 16% Gross margin 54.8% 54.1% 54.3% up 70 bps up 50 bps Operating expenses $452.8 $452.3 $435.8 flat up 4% Net income $136.5 $146.9 $77.9 down 7% up 75% Earnings per share $0.24 $0.25 $0.13 down 4% up 85%
Non-GAAP Quarterly Financial Comparison (in millions except per share data) Q1 FY15 Q4 FY14 Q1 FY14 Q/Q Y/Y Revenue $1,102.8 $1,144.2 $954.7 down 4% up 16% Gross margin 55.1% 53.8% 54.6% up 130 bps up 50 bps Operating expenses $410.8 $407.8 $396.2 up 1% up 4% Net income $166.1 $187.5 $113.8 down 11% up 46% Earnings per share $0.29 $0.32 $0.18 down 9% up 61%
Among highlights of the first quarter of fiscal 2015, NVIDIA:
- Expanded its annual GPU Technology Conference, with 25 percent growth in attendees and sessions.
- Refreshed its notebook GPU line-up with new GeForce® GTX™ 800M series products, including its first Maxwell™-based products.
- Disclosed first details of its Pascal™ GPU architecture, which will succeed Maxwell. Pascal will feature NVLink™ interconnect technology, which will be incorporated in future POWER8 CPUs from IBM, and also 3D memory.
- Announced that NVIDIA GRID™ technology is available on the VMware Horizon DaaS Platform.
- Launched Jetson™ TK1, a development platform aimed at automotive, robotics and embedded applications.
- Joined with IBM, Google and others to launch the OpenPOWER Foundation, an initiative to bring IBM’s POWER CPU to mainstream servers.
NVIDIA’s outlook for the second quarter of fiscal 2015 is as follows:
- Revenue is expected to be $1.1 billion, plus or minus two percent.
- GAAP and non-GAAP margins are expected to be approximately 53.7 percent and 54.0 percent, respectively.
- GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $457 million; non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $414 million.
- GAAP and non-GAAP tax rates for the second quarter and annual fiscal 2015 are both expected to be 20 percent, plus or minus one percent. These estimates exclude any discrete tax events that may occur during the quarter, which, if realized, may increase or decrease our actual effective tax rates.
- Capital expenditures are expected to be approximately $40 million for the second quarter of fiscal 2015.
Commentary on the quarter by Colette Kress, NVIDIA chief financial officer, is available at http://investor.nvidia.com/.
Conference Call and Webcast Information
NVIDIA will conduct a conference call with analysts and investors to discuss its first quarter fiscal 2015 financial results and current financial prospects today at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 p.m. Eastern Time). To listen to the conference call, dial (303) 223-2684; no password is required. A live webcast (listen-only mode) of the conference call will be accessible at the NVIDIA investor relations web site http://investor.nvidia.com/ and at www.streetevents.com. The webcast will be recorded and available for replay until the company’s conference call to discuss its financial results for its second quarter fiscal 2015.
To supplement NVIDIA’s Condensed Consolidated Statements of Operations and Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets presented in accordance with GAAP, the company uses non-GAAP measures of certain components of financial performance. These non-GAAP measures include non-GAAP gross profit, non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP operating expenses, non-GAAP other income and expense, non-GAAP income tax expense, non-GAAP net income, non-GAAP net income, or earnings, per share, and free cash flow. In order for NVIDIA’s investors to be better able to compare its current results with those of previous periods, the company has shown a reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures. These reconciliations adjust the related GAAP financial measures to exclude stock-based compensation, legal settlements, a credit related to a weak die/packaging material set, acquisition-related costs, other expenses, a gain on sale of a non-affiliated investment, interest expense related to the amortization of debt discount, and the associated tax impact of these items, where applicable. Free cash flow is calculated as GAAP net cash provided by operating activities less purchases of property and equipment and intangible assets. NVIDIA believes the presentation of its non-GAAP financial measures enhances the user’s overall understanding of the company’s historical financial performance. The presentation of the company’s non-GAAP financial measures is not meant to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for the company’s financial results prepared in accordance with GAAP, and our non-GAAP measures may be different from non-GAAP measures used by other companies.
Since 1993, NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) has pioneered the art and science of visual computing. The company’s technologies are transforming a world of displays into a world of interactive discovery — for everyone from gamers to scientists, and consumers to enterprise customers. More information at http://nvidianews.nvidia.com and http://blogs.nvidia.com.