HP Reports Third Quarter 2013 Results – Desktop Shipments Down 9%Wed, Aug 21, 2013 - 3:12 PM
HP Reports Third Quarter 2013 Results
PALO ALTO, CA–(Marketwired – Aug 21, 2013) – HP (NYSE: HPQ)
- Third quarter non-GAAP diluted earnings per share of $0.86, down 14% from the prior year, within previously provided outlook of $0.84 to $0.87 per share
- Third quarter GAAP diluted earnings per share of $0.71, up from GAAP diluted loss per share of $4.49 in the prior year, above previously provided outlook of $0.56 to $0.59 per share
- Third quarter net revenue of $27.2 billion, down 8% from the prior year and down 7% when adjusted for the effects of currency
- Cash flow from operations of $2.7 billion, down 6% from the prior year
- Returned $283 million to shareholders in the form of dividends and share repurchases
- Improved operating company net debt position by $1.7 billion, the sixth consecutive quarterly reduction of over $1 billion
HP third quarter fiscal 2013 financial performance
|Q3 FY13||Q3 FY12||Y/Y|
|GAAP net revenue ($B)||$||27.2||$||29.7||(8||%)|
|GAAP operating margin||6.8||%||(29.7||%)||36.5 pts.|
|GAAP net earnings (loss) ($B)||$||1.4||$||(8.9||)|
|GAAP diluted earnings (loss) per share||$||0.71||$||(4.49||)|
|Non-GAAP operating margin||8.4||%||9.2||%||(0.8 pts.||)|
|Non-GAAP net earnings ($B)||$||1.7||$||2.0||(15||%)|
|Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share||$||0.86||$||1.00||(14||%)|
|Cash flow from operations ($B)||$||2.7||$||2.8||(6||%)|
Information about HP’s use of non-GAAP financial information is provided under “Use of non-GAAP financial information” below.
HP today announced financial results for its third fiscal quarter ended July 31, 2013. Third quarter GAAP diluted earnings per share (EPS) was $0.71, up from a GAAP diluted loss per share of $4.49 in the prior-year period and above its previously provided outlook of $0.56 to $0.59 per share. Third quarter non-GAAP diluted EPS was $0.86, down from $1.00 in the prior-year period and within its previously provided outlook of $0.84 to $0.87 per share. Third quarter non-GAAP earnings information excludes after-tax costs of $286 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, related to amortization of purchased intangible assets, restructuring charges and acquisition-related charges.
For the third quarter, net revenue of $27.2 billion was down 8% year over year and down 7% when adjusted for the effects of currency.
“We once again achieved the financial performance we said we would, delivering $0.86 in non-GAAP diluted earnings per share, within our previously provided outlook of $0.84 to $0.87,” said Meg Whitman, HP president and chief executive officer. “I remain confident that we are making progress in our turnaround. We are already seeing significant improvement in our operations, we are successfully rebuilding our balance sheet, our cost structure is more closely aligned with our revenue and we have reignited innovation at HP, with a focus on the customer.”
For the full year fiscal 2013, HP estimates non-GAAP diluted EPS to be in the range of $3.53 to $3.57 and GAAP diluted EPS to be in the range of $2.67 to $2.71, in line with HP’s previously communicated outlook. Full year fiscal 2013 non-GAAP diluted EPS estimates exclude after-tax costs of approximately $0.86 per share, related to the amortization of purchased intangible assets, restructuring charges and acquisition-related charges.
HP generated $2.7 billion in cash flow from operations in the third quarter, down 6% from the prior-year period. Inventory ended the quarter at $6.5 billion, down 1 day year over year to 28 days. Accounts receivable ended the quarter at $14.3 billion, down 1 day year over year to 47 days. Accounts payable ended the quarter at $13.3 billion, up 7 days year over year to 57 days. HP’s dividend payment of $0.1452 per share in the third quarter resulted in cash usage of $280 million. HP also utilized $3 million of cash during the quarter to repurchase approximately 168,000 shares of common stock in the open market. HP exited the quarter with $13.7 billion in gross cash.
Third quarter fiscal 2013 segment results
- Personal Systems revenue was down 11% year over year with a 3.0% operating margin. Commercial revenue decreased 3% and Consumer revenue declined 22%. Total units were down 8% with Desktops units down 9% and Notebooks units down 14%.
- Printing revenue declined 4% year over year with a 15.6% operating margin. Total hardware units were up 5% with Commercial hardware units up 12% and Consumer hardware units up 2%. Supplies revenue was down 4%.
- Enterprise Group revenue declined 9% year over year with a 15.2% operating margin. Networking revenue was flat, Industry Standard Servers revenue was down 11%, Business Critical Systems revenue was down 26%, Storage revenue was down 10% and Technology Services revenue was down 7%.
- Enterprise Services revenue declined 9% year over year with a 3.3% operating margin. Application and Business Services revenue was down 11% and Infrastructure Technology Outsourcing revenue declined 7%.
- Software revenue was up 1% year over year with a 20.5% operating margin. Support revenue was up 4%, license revenue was flat, professional services revenue was down 11% and SaaS revenue was up 4%.
- HP Financial Services revenue was down 6% year over year with a 4% decrease in net portfolio assets and a 9% decrease in financing volume. The business delivered an operating margin of 11.3%.
More information on HP’s earnings, including additional financial analysis and an earnings overview presentation, is available on HP’s Investor Relations website at www.hp.com/investor/home.
HP’s Q3 FY13 earnings conference call is accessible via an audio webcast at www.hp.com/investor/2013Q3webcast.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. With the broadest technology portfolio spanning printing, personal systems, software, services and IT infrastructure, HP delivers solutions for customers’ most complex challenges in every region of the world. More information about HP is available at http://www.hp.com.