The standalone version of DayZ, the popular multiplayer open-world zombie survival mod for Arma 2, was released today as a public Alpha test through Steam.
DayZ players join a server and enter a world ravaged by a zombie apocalypse. Resources in the fictional region of Chernarus are very scarce and survivors must scavenge for weapons and supplies as well as defend themselves from zombies and other survivor players who choose to be hostile.
Following the mod’s success in 2012, DayZ’s creator Dean Hall worked with Bohemia Interactive to release a standalone game that would afford players an improved experience without annoying bugs, glitches, and hackers. The standalone DayZ Alpha is available on Steam’s Early Access for $29.99 and is apparently far from finished.
“DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process. Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.” – DayZ Alpha Steam page
KEY FEATURES IN ALPHA
- Chernarus – 230 sq. km chunk of post soviet state, featuring deep forests, cities, villages, abandoned military bases, and more..
- Up to 40 players per server – Rich server / client architecture developed from scratch.
- Persistent player profile – Key player data is persistent across all servers.
- Inventory – Combine various clothing items, equipment and carry all of the items that you will need to survive the harsh new environment in the open and intuitive inventory system developed to answer the needs of crafting and character customization.
- Crafting – In the apocalyptic world of DayZ, resources are sparse and every useful bit should be utilized. Items or equipment can be improved, turned into something else or fixed using the new crafting mechanisms.
- Weapon customization – Use customizable firearms with authentic ballistics and weapon characteristics as well as melee weapons to protect yourself against all the dangers a survivor may face.
- Customizable clothing – Customize your survivor with a multitude of new clothing items that can be scavenged from the remnants of civilization, which provide various degree of protection against the elements, infected, and other survivors.
As stated on the game’s steam page, DayZ’s developers estimate that a Beta version will not be ready for more than a year.
- Playable vehicles
- Wide variety of native animal life
- Player created constructions in the environment
- Extensive interactions with the environment and crafting options
- Streamlined user actions and interface
- Upgraded graphics and physics engine (including ragdoll, etc.)
- Control and animations expanded and improved for fluidity
- Support of user mods