Zalman CNPS9900 MAX 135mm CPU Cooler ReviewTue, Nov 23, 2010 - 12:00 AM
Zalman CNPS9900 MAX CPU Cooler
Zalman has been around since the late 90’s and has been cranking out coolers that not only perform well, but look good doing it. Zalman has since developed a wide range of products from air cooling, water cooling, fans, cases, power supplies, storage and even monitors. My first experience with Zalman was around 5 years ago with the CNPS9700 LED CPU cooler. It was a strong performer for years for me, and it can still be bought to this day. Today we are looking at the newest incarnation of that cooler design, the CNPS9900 MAX.
The CNPS9900 MAX looks to be the same basic concept and the design most older enthusiasts think of when they hear Zalman’s name. The cooler has a barrel shape to it with a center mounted fan. The heatpipes are bent into a circle.
The CNPS9900 MAX has what Zalman calls composite heatpipes. The heatpipes are a combination of axial groove type and sintered metal type heatpipes. Zalman says this combination increases the heat transfer rate by 50% when compared to ordinary heatpipes.
The fins of CNPS9900 MAX are solid copper. The whole cooler is coated with a black nickel plate that Zalman calls Black Pearl finish. The fan for the CNPS9900 MAX is a 135mm center mounted fan that is available in red or blue LED. The fan is a PWM fan that will operate between 900 and 1700 RPM at 18 to 27 dBA in normal mode. In quiet mode it will operate between 900 and 1500 RPM at 18 to 30dBA.
Features of the Zalman CNPS9900 MAX
- Powerful Cooling Performance [Qmax: 300W]: Optimally designed pure copper fins effectively disperse heat away from the CPU via composite heatpipes, while the high capacity 135mm fan quickly cools the heatsink for stable operation of high performance CPUs.
- Ultra Quiet 135mm Blue/Red LED Fan: An ultra quiet 135mm fan is incorporated for minimized noise. The Blue / Red LEDs heighten the cool aesthetics.
- Black-Pearl Nickel Plating: The entire copper heatsink of CNPS9900 MAX is ‘Black-Pearl’ Nickel Plated for long-term corrosion resistance, while the deep ‘Black-Pearl’ tone along with the high intensity Blue / Red LEDs reinforce its powerful aesthetics.
- PWM Fan Speed Control: The PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) Fan automatically adjusts fan speed (RPM) according to the CPU’s temperature, while the included Resistor Cable (RC7P) provides the option of reducing the input voltage for overall reduction of fan speed and noise.
- High Performance Super Thermal Grease ZM-STG2: The included all new high performance thermal grease ZM-STG2 maximizes heat transfer from the CPU to the base of CNPS9900 MAX for intensified cooling performance.
- Versatile Compatibility: CNPS9900 MAX accommodates a broad range of sockets. Intel LGA1156 / 1366 / 775, AMD AM3 / AM2+ / AM2
Specifications of the Zalman CNPS9900 MAX
- Dimensions: 94(L) x 131(W) x 152(H)mm
- Weight: 755g
- Materials: Pure Copper/Black-Pearl Nickel Plated
- Dissipation Area: 5,402 sq cm
- Fan Bearing: Long life bearing
- Fan RPM
- RC7P Connected: 900 ~ 1,500 rpm ± 10%
- Not Connected: 900 ~ 1,700 rpm ± 10%
- RC7P Connected: 18 ~ 27 dBA ± 10%
- RC7P Not Connected: 18 ~ 30 dBA ± 10%