Software Required & Test System
There are several ways of accomplishing this upgrade and for the sake of this tutorial we will be using a combination of TechPowerUp Radeon Bios Editor and ATI Winflash. As of writing this is one of the easiest and most flexible ways of accomplishing this upgrade. You will need to download the following:
Downloads are courtesy of TechPowerup. Please use the most recent versions of these packages, the above are linked for convenience.
The Test System
All testing was done on a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with all updates current as of 05/01/2011. All benchmarks were completed with no additional software running. All system drivers and BIOS revisions were current. ATI Catalyst 11.4 WHQL drivers were used for all benchmarks.
Intel LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge Test Platform:
- Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Rev. B3 Bios version F3
- Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40 GHz
- 4x Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 @ 1600MHz with 9-9-9-24 timings (16 GB total)
- ASUS Radeon HD 6950 (EAH6950/2DI2S/2GD5)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (ST3200820AS)
- Corsair Hydro Series H70 Liquid cooling system
- Corsair HX1000W
- Apple 30” Cinema Display @ up to 2560×1600