Since Scythe started back in 2002 they have been putting out quality coolers at affordable prices with the DIY and gamer crowd in mind. They have coolers that go from one extreme to the other in the way of sizes. At one end you have the low profile Big Shuriken, and at the other you have the ridiculously big Orochi. Today we are looking at the newest version of the ever popular Mugen, or Infinity, cooler. Simply named Mugen 2 the design is definitely different than its predecessor.
The Mugen 2 features newly developed M.A.P.S. or Multiple Air Pass-Through Structure which allows the cooler to take full advantage of the 120mm Slipstream fan. The Mugen 2 also has the ability to use multiple fans; up to four 120mm fans can be mounted to the Mugen 2. This also helps in mounting the cooler to your favorite CPU socket as you are able to mount the fan on the cooler on any side. To help simplify installation the Mugen 2 comes with a single mounting back plate dubbed F.M.S.B. The Flip Mount Super Back-Plate allows the Mugen 2 to mount to all of today’s most popular CPU sockets. Let’s take a quick look at the specifications of the new Mugen 2.
- Model Name: MUGEN-2
- Model #: SCMG-2000
- Manufacturer: Scythe Co., Ltd. Japan
- Heatsink Dimension: 130 x 100 x 158 mm (5.12 x 3.94 x 6.22 inch)
- Weight: 870 g (1.92 lb)
- Baseplate-Material: Nickel-plated copper
- Dimension: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
- Weight: 115 g (0.25 lb)
- Speed: 324 ~ 1,200 rpm (±10%)
Bearing: Sleeve Bearing
- Noise Level: 0 – 26.50 dBA
- Air Flow 0 – 74.25 CFM (0 – 126 m³/h)
- Intel LGA1366: Intel Core i7 Processor Extreme Edition Series, Intel Core i7 Processor Series
- Intel LGA775 (SocketT): Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor 3200 Series, Dual-Core Intel Xeon Processor 3000 Sequence, Intel Core2 Extreme processor, Intel Core2 Quad processor, Intel Core2 Duo processor, Intel Core Duo Processor, Intel Pentium Processor Extreme Edition, Intel Pentium D Processor, Intel Pentium 4 Processor Extreme Edition Hyper-Threading Technology, Intel Pentium 4 Processor supporting Hyper-threading Technology, Intel Celeron D Processor
- Intel Socket478: Intel Pentium 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology, Intel Pentium 4 Processor supporting Hyper-threading Technology, Intel Pentium 4 Processor, Intel Celeron D Processor, Intel Celeron Processor
- AMD Socket AM2+: AMD Phenom II Processor, AMD Phenom X4 Processor, AMD Phenom X3 Processor
- AMD SocketAM2: AMD Athlon 64 Processor, AMD Athlon 64 FX Processor, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor AMD Socket940: Dual-Core AMD Opteron Processor, AMD Opteron Processor
- AMD Socket939: AMD Athlon 64 Processor, AMD Athlon 64 FX Processor, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor AMD Socket754: AMD Athlon 64 Processor, AMD Sempron Processor
The Mugen 2 comes as most Scythe coolers do, in a nice box with graphics all over it. The box sports images of the cooler along with the specifications on the sides.
With the cooler out of the box we can see that Scythe put in cardboard supports to help protect the cooler. We will see why these are needed in just a second.