NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT Video Card ReviewMon, Mar 27, 2006 - 12:00 AM
7900GT Features and Benefits
Features and Benefits
The following is a list of features and benefits that NVIDIA provided us for the Geforce 7900 GTX and 7900 GT and we thought it would be best to include it for you to take a look at.
- Full Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 Support: The standard for today?s PCs and next-generation consoles enables stunning and complex effects for cinematic realism. NVIDIA GPUs offer the most complete implementation of the Shader Model 3.0 feature set?including vertex texture fetch (VTF)?to ensure top-notch compatibility and performance for all DirectX 9 applications.
- Built for Microsoft Windows Vista?: NVIDIA?s third-generation GPU architecture built for Windows Vista gives users the best possible experience with the 3D graphical user interface in the upcoming operating system (OS) from Microsoft. The GeForce 7900 GTX and 7900 GT GPUs are fully compatible with Microsoft Vista?s DirectX 9.0L and Longhorn Display Driver Model (LDDM).
- NVIDIA SLI? Technology*: Delivers up to 2x the performance of a single GPU configuration for unparalleled gaming experiences by allowing two graphics cards to run in parallel. The must-have feature for performance PCI Express graphics, SLI dramatically scales performance on today?s hottest games.
- NVIDIA CineFX? 4.0 Engine – Delivers advanced visual effects at unimaginable speeds. Full support for Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 enabling stunning and complex special effects. Next-generation shader architecture with new texture unit design streamlines texture processing for faster and smoother gameplay.
- Full-Speed 128-Bit Studio-Precision Computation – 128-bit studio-precision computation (32-bit per component) through the entire pipeline delivers increased image quality with no performance compromise by preventing image defects due to low precision and thereby ensures the best image quality for even the most demanding applications.
- Transparency Antialiasing – Supports transparency supersampling and multisampling to dramatically improve the quality of objects modeled in alpha-tested textures (typically environmental details like chain link fences, grass, leaves, or other vegetation).
- NVIDIA Intellisample? 4.0 Technology – The industry?s fastest antialiasing delivers ultra-realistic visuals, with no jagged edges, at super-fast speeds. Visual quality is taken to new heights through a rotated grid sampling pattern, advanced 128 Tap sample coverage, 16x anisotropic filtering, and support for transparency supersampling and multisampling.
- True High Dynamic-Range (HDR) Rendering Support: The ultimate lighting effects bring environments to life for a truly immersive, ultra-realistic experience. Based on the OpenEXR technology from Industrial Light & Magic (http://www.openexr.com/), NVIDIA?s 64-bit texture implementation delivers state-of-the-art high dynamic-range (HDR) visual effects through floating point capabilities in shading, filtering, texturing, and blending.
- 90nm Process Technology: Delivers higher performance through blazing clock rates.
- 256-Bit High-Speed GDDR3 Memory Interface: Support for fast GDDR3 memory with high bandwidth delivers fluid frame rates for even the most advanced games and applications.
NVIDIA PureVideo Features
- Adaptable Programmable Video Processor – NVIDIA PureVideo is a programmable technology that can adapt to new video encoding formats as they are developed, providing a future-proof video solution.
- MPEG-2 Decode Acceleration – Allows smooth playback of all MPEG-2 videos with minimal CPU usage ? freeing the PC to do other work. Requires MPEG-2 decoder.
- H.264 Decode Acceleration – Enables the delivery of Hollywood movies stored on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disks by decoding H.264 content and significantly reducing CPU utilization.
- WMV Decode Acceleration – Playback videos in Microsoft?s Windows Media Video High Definition (WMV HD) format without skipping frames or losing video detail.
- Inverse Telecine (3:2 & 2:2 Pulldown Correction) – Recovers original film format data to provide more accurate video playback and superior picture quality for both SD and HD interlaced content. Requires supported video software.
- Bad Edit Correction – Detects disruption of the normal 3:2 or 2:2 cadence resulting from poor edits made after a film has been converted from 24 frames to 25 or 30 frames per second video format. Uses advanced processing techniques to recover the original film content and display smooth, natural looking video.
- Spatial-Temporal De-Interlacing ? Smoothes SD and HD video playback on progressive displays to deliver a crisp, clear picture that rivals high-end home theater systems. Requires supported video software.
- High-Quality Scaling – Allows for upscaling of a low-resolution video to HDTV resolutions (up to 1080p), while maintaining a clear, clean image. Also allows for downscaling videos, including high-definition, without experiencing any annoying flicker, while preserving image detail.
- Video Color Correction – Corrects differences in color characteristics of RGB monitors and TV monitors through NVIDIA PureVideo?s ProcAmp Color Controls settings, such as Brightness and Contrast. The display gamma correction ensures videos are not too dark, overly bright, or washed out regardless of the video format or display.
- Integrated SD and HD TV Output – Connects to your standard definition or high-definition TV via Composite, S-Video, Component, DVI, or HDMI connections. Supports resolutions up to 1080p depending on connection type and TV capability.
- UltraShadow II Technology – Enhances the performance of bleeding-edge games, featuring complex scenes with multiple light sources and objects.
- Normal Map Compression ? normal maps can be compressed 2:1 using the V8U8 compression technology, and applications using 3DC compression format will transparently work on the GeForce 7900 GTX/7900 GT.
- NVIDIA ForceWare Unified Driver Architecture (UDA) – Delivers a proven record of compatibility, reliability, and stability with the widest range of games and applications. ForceWare ensures the best out-of-box experience for every user and delivers continuous performance and feature updates over the life of NVIDIA GeForce GPUs.
- OpenGL 2.0 Optimizations and Support – Ensures the best performance and application compatibility for all OpenGL applications.
- Dual Dual-link DVI Support: Able to drive two of the industry?s largest and highest resolution flat-panel displays up to 2560×1600.
- Dual 400MHz RAMDACs – Blazing-fast RAMDACs support dual QXGA analog displays with high, ergonomic refresh rates up to 2048×1536 @ 85Hz.
Well that wraps up the specifications and features of the NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series. Let’s take a look at GeForce 7900GT performs.