Rumor: Apple To Possibly Release Upgraded iPad This Summer
According to Digitimes, a Chinese-language Apple Daily report is saying that Apple is going to launch an upgraded 9.7-inch iPad sometime this summer. The report has cited various market watchers as it's source. In all honestly, it seems far too soon for Apple to be upgrading said iPad already, so this rumor seems a bit doubtful to say the least. That however won't stop the ripple that is expected to spread through various component supply chains, tablet PC OEMs and vendors who have been seeking to emulate the success Apple has found. The rumored upgrade will supposedly be an indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) panel for longer batter life and thinner design. The iPad's panels are currently supplied by Samsung to the tune of 60-70%, that leaves Sharp and LG Display to round out the remaining 30%. It is however expected that with Foxconn Electronics recent investment in Sharp, that Sharp may now see an increase to 50% of all panels for the upgraded iPad. Our Readers should take this rumor with a healthy dose of salt, as Apple could indeed release an upgraded unit and it wouldn't be some unprecedented feat, it's still extremely unlikely to happen this soon.
The upgraded iPad is said to feature indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) panel technology to allow the device to feature an even thinner design and longer battery life. Panel supply will be shifted from Samsung to Sharp, the paper noted.
Posted by | Fri, Jun 29, 2012 - 01:11 PM