Kingston USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 19-in-1 Media ReaderMon, Dec 31, 2007 - 12:00 AM
A Closer Look At The Features
Kingston 19-in-1 Reader Features & Benefits
- Slider Chassis — built-in LED indicator and self-contained 3′ USB cable (Type A plug)
- Portable — convenient small size; no power cable required
- Extension Cable — includes an additional three-foot USB cable for stationary use
- Versatile — with four slots, works with 19 different Flash card formats
- Standardized — complies with USB 2.0 specification standards and backwards compatible with USB 1.1
- Easy — plug-and-play into any USB 2.0 or 1.1 port
After looking at the the feature list one might notice that the 19-in-1 reader features something called a slider chassis. The actual card reader can move forward and backwards in the chassis when the Kingston Red Head is pressed. The Kingston Red Head also doubles as the red activity LED, which is pretty slick. Pictured above is the 19-in-1 reader with the slider chassis pulled back in storage mode.
Looking at the back of the reader one can see the compact USB cable stored flush with the reader housing. Kingston even put a red head on the USB connector! Lots of little detail work is in the 19-in-1 reader that hasn’t been seen in previous Kingston readers.
When the reader is ready to be used, the red head should be pushed down and the slider chassis pulled to the front. The USB cable will pop out and the reader slots appear! If the short cable is too small for your needs, Kingston does include a three foot extension cable that can be plugged into the short cable seen above.
If you are wondering how the slider works it slides on two tracks on the top of the housing and when the slider is used a non-moving metal bracket pops the USB cable out. A very slick design with hardly any moving parts that could break in the years ahead. Speaking of breaking, the Kingston 19-in-1 reader (part number FCR-HS219/1) comes with a two-year warranty to fall back on.
- Dimensions — 3.61″ x 2.71 x 0.79″ (91.72mm x 68.82mm x 20.06mm)
- Speed Rating — USB 2.0, up to 480 Mbps data transfer speed
- Operating Temperature — 32° to 140° F / 0° to 60° C
- Storage Temperature — -4° to 185° F / -20° to- 85° C
- Weight — 0.1585 lbs (71g)
- Operating System Compatibility — Windows 2000 (SP3 and above), XP (SP1 and above) and Vista; Mac OS 10.x and above
- Guaranteed — two-year warranty
The bottom of the reader features rubber pads to help keeps the media reader in place when used on a solid surface like a desk. The serial number is also located here for those that remember to right down them down as it does come in handy when things get stolen.
Now that we have taken a closer look at the Kingston 19-in-1 reader, we can look at the performance numbers.