Kingston SSDNow V+100 128GB SSD ReviewMon, Nov 22, 2010 - 12:00 AM
Kingston SSDNow V+100 128GB SSD
Kingston has put out several models of SSD’s now and their most recent release are is the SSDNOW V+100 series available in 64GB, 96GB, 128GB, 256GB and 512GB capacities. If this naming convention sounds familiar, you’d be correct as they had an earlier line of V+ drives which we reviewed back in January 2010. They also have another line of value drives with the “V” series. The V+ drives carry a Toshiba controller and the V series feature a JMicron controller except for the 30GB V series boot drive which has the Toshiba controller. Got it? The one we will be having a look at is the 128GB bundled version which currently retails for $289.99.
While the V+100 drives use the same Toshiba controller as the V+, they have updated firmware which Kingston claims will yield an additional 25% of performance. Kingston isn’t the only SSD maker that has somewhat confusing naming conventions and we all know how clear the video card models have been. The moral of this is to make sure you do your homework before buying this or any product to be sure you are getting the model you intend to buy. But I digress – back to the V+100.
The packaging looks very similar to the original V+ drive with the same green and black colors.
The V+100 has an extra image of the drive on the front with a small badge referencing the increase in speed over traditional 5400RPM hard drives.
The drive actually comes in a bundle, like its predecessor, which contains several goodies that sweeten the pot for an SSD investment. Included are drive rail 2.5″ to 3.5″ adapters, SATA cable, USB 2.0 cable, an external enclosure, a Molex to SATA power adapter and a disk with hard drive cloning software.
Kingston SSDNOW V+100 128GB SSD Features:
- Innovative – Uses MLC NAND flash memory components.
- Silent – Runs silent and cool with no moving mechanical parts.
- Shock Proof – No moving mechanical parts so the SSD handles rougher conditions.
- Supports S.M.A.R.T functions
- Guaranteed – 3 year legendary Kingston warranty, 24/7 tech support
Kingston SSDNOW V+100 128GB SSD Specifications:
- Form Factor – 2.5″
- Interface – SATA 1.5 Gb/sec. and 3.0 Gb/sec
- Capacities* – 64GB, 96GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
- Dimensions – 69.85 x 100 x 9.5 mm
- Weight – 128 – 151 grams
- Storage temperatures – -40 – 85°C
- Operating temperatures – 0 – 70°C
- Vibration operating – 2.7G
- Vibration non-operating – 20G
- Sequential Read Throughput** – 230MB/s
- Sequential Write Throughput** – 180MB/s
- PCMARK® Vantage HDD Suite Score+
- 64GB – 38,177
- 96GB – 34,971
- 128GB – 35,073
- 256GB – 34,795
- 512GB – 34,697
The drive itself is virtually identical to the V+ on the exterior without the rectangular indent on the bottom and the V+100 now has a warranty void sticker over one of the screw holes.
Let’s have a look at the inside to see what has changed from the V+ drive.