Corsair Obsidian Series 700D Full Tower PC Case ReviewFri, May 07, 2010 - 12:00 AM
Corsair Obsidian Series 700D Full Tower
Corsair’s Obsidian series was their first step into the case market. The first case in that series, the 800D, was designed from the ground up with enthusiasts in mind. Now Corsair has released the next case in the series, the 700D. The new 700D could be considered the little sibling of the 800D, but as you will see they are more like paternal twins, almost the same but not quite. Unlike the 800D, the 700D does not have the front accessible hotswap bays or a window in the side panel. The rest of the features are the same as the 800D. The reason for the 700D is that Corsair wanted a more affordable version of the 800D that would still give the performance that the 800D was known for. The result was a case that was $24 less expensive than its predecessor. At $249.99 shipped the 700D is less expensive than the $273.99 shipped 800D, but is the stripped down 700D worthy of its price tag? Let’s take a look at what the 700D has going for it and see.
This is the flow diagram for the 800D, but the 700D is same concept. The 700D has three isolated cooling zones. The main compartment and the hard drive bays have their own 140mm fans to provide cooling. The top of the 700D is also predrilled for either three 120mm fans or up to a triple 120mm radiator. The PSU area is the third zone. It also has its own dedicated intake and exhaust. Let’s take a quick look at the specifications and features for the 700D, then the 700D itself.
- Six HDD / SSD drive bays compatible with both 3.5” and 2.5” drives
- Removable CPU backplate panel for easy heatsink installation
- Isolated cooling zones prevent heat buildup
- Unique cable routing holes guarantee a clean and clutter-free installation
- Three 140mm fans included, with the ability to add four more 120mm fans
- Tool-free optical drive installation makes building a system faster than ever
- Two year warranty with Corsair’s world-class customer service and technical support
- Dimension: 24″(H) x 24″(L) x 9″(W) – (609mm X 609mm X 229 mm)
- Material: Aluminum Faceplate, Steel Structure
- Color: Black
- Model: CC700D
- Drive Bays: (x5) 5.25″, (x6) 3.5″ or 2.5″
Cooling: (x3) 140mm Fans, Up to 4x 120mm Fans (not included)
- Expansion Slots: 7 (+1 vent)
- Motherboard: ATX, mATX, EATX
- Front I/O: (x4) USB 2.0, (x1) IEEE1394, (x1) Headphone, (x1) MIC
- Power Supply: ATX (not included)
Let’s take a closer look at our Corsair Obsidian 700D case sample!