Legit Power Supply Reviews
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 Platinum 650W Power Supply Review
|Product:||Antec EarthWatts EA-650 Platinum|
|Date:||Wed, Aug 15, 2012 - 12:00 AM|
|Written By:||Emmanouil Filladitakis -|
Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650W PSU
Lately, a lot of powerful and prestigious power supply units were able to achieve the much desired 80Plus Platinum efficiency certification. Unfortunately, for the casual hardware enthusiast, these power supplies were severely oversized for their systems and/or too expensive for their budget. Antec came up with an answer to that issue with the release of the Earthwatts Platinum 650W power supply, a product which earned the 80Plus Platinum certification but with a power rating suitable for most of today's gaming and performance computers, as well as a very attractive price tag.
this power supply features an 80Plus Platinum certification, one needs to bear
in mind that the Earthwatts series consists of Antec's simplistic designs,
which are designed to deliver high performance without an extensive number of
features and/or aesthetic enhancements. Antec has 450W, 550W and 650W models in its EarthWatts Platinum desktop lineup. We will be looking at the 650W model today.
- Antec EarthWatts Platinum EA-450 - $94.24 shipped
- Antec EarthWatts Platinum EA-550 - $104.65 shipped
- Antec EarthWatts Platinum EA-650 - $98.88 shipped
The street pricing of the Antec EarthWatts Platinum series is rather confusing as there is just less than a $5 difference between the 450W and 650W model. To make matters worse the 550W model is more expensive than the 650W model. If you are building a PC and want to use the power supply for years to come it looks like the Antec Earthwatts 650W unit is the best value of the three due to the price and the Wattage rating. The EA-650 Platinum is $98.88 with free shipping at the time of this
review, to be exact. All that remains is to be seen is how good of a value for the money this
unit can deliver to the end user and that is what we will show you today.
Antec Earthwatts Platinum 650W PSU Features:
- 650W Continuous Power - Guaranteed 650W of Continuous Power from Antec, 80 PLUS PLATINUM certified - Up to 93% efficient, to reduce your electricity bill, by up to 25% with the new EA-550 Platinum.
- Thermal Manager - An advanced low voltage fan control for optimal heat & noise management, all cooled by a 120 mm DBB Silence - Whisper-quiet high-quality double ball bearing fan with a long lifetime!
- High Current Rails - 4 fully-protected High Current +12V rails with high load capabilities ensure maximum CPU & GPU compatibility! Power distribution as follows; +5v@18A, +3.3v@20A, +12v1@30A, +12v2@30A, +12v4A30A, -12v@.3A, +5vsb@3A.
- CircuitShield - Over Current Protection (OCP), Over Voltage Protection (OVP), Under Voltage Protection (UVP), Short Circuit Protection (SCP), Over Power Protection (OPP), Surge & Inrush Protecion (SIP), No Load Operation (NLO) & Brown-Out Protection (BOP)
- Safety Approvals UL, cUL, CB, CE, FCC, TÜV, BSMI, CCC, C-Tick, GOST-R, KCC
- Operating Temperature 0°C - 50°C Voltage, 100-240 +-10% Frequency Range, 50Hz-60Hz Current, 10-5A Efficiency Up to 93%
- Dimensions - 3.4" x 5.9" x 5.5"
- Weight - 4.4lbs
- Warranty - 3 Years
Next Page - Unboxing the power supply
Page 1 - Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650W PSU
Page 2 - Unboxing the power supply
Page 3 - External Design
Page 4 - A look inside
Page 5 - Test Setup
Page 6 - Testing results (Regulation & Ripple)
Page 7 - Testing results (Efficiency, Noise & Thermal)
Page 8 - Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650W PSU Conclusion