6-Way Intel Core i7 CPU Cooler RoundupTue, Jan 20, 2009 - 12:00 AM
Vigor Monsoon III LT
Vigor is well known for their complete gaming systems, but they also sell the components from those systems like the CPU coolers and cases. The Monsoon III LT is the next incarnation for the Monsoon line of coolers. Compatible with just about any of the popular CPU sockets today the Monsoon III LT should work for just about anyone. Weighing in at 855g and standing 160mm tall the Monsoon III LT is not a small cooler, but is definitely not the biggest. Let’s look at the features and specifications.
- Fluid Mechanics Cooling Solution
- Dual fan configuration generates twice the airflow of competing designs
- Heat sink engineered to maximize dissipation surface and minimize weight
- 4 heat popes quickly transport heat between thermal extremes Superior Cooling Performance
- Mirror finish on copper base allows 100% thermal contact between CPU and Monsoon III LT
- Sickle blade fan produces large amount of airflow while minimizing noise 20dBA Silent Operation
- CPU Socket
- Intel Socket B1(LGA 1366) Socket T (LGA 775) Socket J (LGA 771 Skulltrail only)
- AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 / 939 / 754
- Intel Core i7 / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Quad /Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Pentium 4 / Celeron / Celeron D
- AMD Phenom x4 / Phenom x3/ Athlon 64 x2 / Athlon 64 / Sempron
The Vigor Monsoon III LT was one of the first Core i7 coolers we received here at Legit Reviews, and to be honest, the snazziest looking cooler in the bunch. The dual 120mm blue LED fans and the fan shroud make the cooler look very nice. The fan shroud also helps the air flow stay in the front to back direction rather than out the sides.
There are 4 heat pipes, with two separate fin towers. To direct air through the cooler Vigor has the fan mount and shroud.
Overall the Monsoon III LT cooler feels rather well built, is light, and despite using Cooler Masters retention system is not to hard to install. This may be due to the fact that the cooler can be turned upside down and due to its girth the motherboard can be balanced on it freeing up a hand for installing the retention plate.