2009 E3 Expo – Day Two CoverageThu, Jun 04, 2009 - 12:00 AM
Activision’s DJ Hero
We spent some more time over at the Activision area marvelling at the skills of those in the crowd proficient at Guitar Hero. What was really amazing though was when Activision introduced their newest game, DJ Hero with live DJs in the mix on the DJ Hero controller.
DJ Hero was designed to deliver an all-new “interactive music experience” similar to Guitar Hero that allows players to rule the party and not only experience, but to hear music in an all-new way. It has over 100 individual songs, highlighted in over 80 unique never-before-released mixes that blend all sorts of genres of music, including hip-hop, R&B, pop, rock and electronica, The turntable controller gives fans the chance to immerse into the DJ culture and a huge variety of music as they utilize and master various DJ techniques including scratching, blending, cross fading and sampling.
- Start the Party, Rule The Party – From intimate settings to the largest club events around the world, the DJ is the life of the party. DJ Hero gives gamers a chance to step to the front of the room in the most socially expressive experience by combining exhilarating gameplay, the hottest music and world-class DJs with the all-new turntable controller.
- Music Sounds Better With You – With over 100 individual songs included on-disc, highlighted in over 80 original exclusive mixes, DJ Hero compiles a massive set list spanning hip-hop, R&B, pop, rock, electronica, and almost everything in between, from world renowned artists like David Bowie, Blondie, Justice, Marvin Gaye, KRS-1, Beastie Boys, Gorillaz, N.E.R.D, Nirvana and 50 Cent.
- Here Comes My DJ – DJ Hero features in-game appearances as well as mixes and original music from some of the hottest DJs melting vinyl in clubs and over the airwaves throughout the world, bringing turntable legends like DJ Shadow from the dancehall to your living room.
- Bust A Move – DJ Hero drops the needle on the record for gamers and immerses them in common DJ techniques including mixing, sampling and various scratch patterns while offering social expression with freestyle effects and samples. Accessible to many audiences, all will feel comfortable spinning on the turntable controller that blends the unique DJ Hero gameplay with a host of authentic DJ cultures. So don’t just stand there, bust a move!
- Battle the Best or Scratch and Strum with the Rest – With DJ competitions playing a large role in DJ culture, from impromptu battles to the DMC World DJ Championships, inclusion of the DJ vs. DJ competitive game mode is a natural fit, giving beat chemists the option to battle head-to-head to determine virtual DJ supremacy. Additionally, two DJs can mix and scratch together on multiple turntable controllers, a player can join in to emcee over any track in the game with a mic or, using a Guitar Hero guitar controller along with a turntable controller, gamers can perform a series of infamous DJ-guitar exclusive mixes, just as many of the artists in DJ Hero have.
- Live and On Location – Where Guitar Hero brought gamers into the world of rock ‘n’ roll, DJ Hero brings gamers to the party with art design and venues reminiscent of real world locales from around the globe including an ultra plush Hollywood Hills style mansion to an open air beach club in Ibiza.
- Publisher: Activision Publishing/RedOctane
- Developer: FreeStyleGames (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and PS2)
- Release Date: Fall 2009
More to come tomorrow!